Class of 2014 Largest in Providence College History
The largest freshman class in Providence College history was welcomed to campus as classes for the 2010-11 academic year began on Tuesday, September 7.
Approximately 1,100 students have chosen to enroll at PC as members of the Class of 2014. The previous high enrollment for an incoming class was established by the Class of 2009, which had 1,065 members.
Class academic profile:
- As in past years, the Class of 2014 continues a tradition of outstanding academic achievement.
- The class has an average grade point average (GPA) of 3.36 on a 4.0 scale. More than 37% of the students graduated in the top 10% of their high school class.
- The average SAT score was 573 for the critical reading portion of the test, 582 for the math section, and 588 for the writing portion.
- The most popular majors for declared students are biology, marketing, special/elementary education, psychology, management, and political science. One-hundred and nineteen students were accepted into the Liberal Arts Honors Program, which is up from 92 last year.
Geographic and demographic facts:
- 133 students are first-generation college students - an increase of 33 students from the Class of 2013 and the second-highest total in the last seven years.
- 12.5% of the class is of African-American, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American (AHANA) descent, which is up from 10.4% last year.
- There are 15 new international students from Australia, Canada, China, the Dominican Republic, India, South Korea, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.